Here are my answers to some of the most frequently asked questions I receive. If you have any more, please ask.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SPORTS AND REMEDIAL MASSAGE?
There is a vast difference between therapists, so finding one that suits you is key. With my treatments they encompass both techniques to achieve a rounded result, however Sports massage can be specific to a particular area where injury has occurred or strain during a training period it can also benefit competitors pre and post event. Remedial massage is also a deep form of massage dealing more with muscular aches, pains and knots.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF SPORTS AND REMEDIAL MASSAGE?
- Achy Muscles – reduces stress built up from work, play, injury, illness, post-op.
- Back & Shoulder pain – usually posture / stress related
- Tension headaches – often caused by muscular tension.
- Posture issues – Helps improve life-long behaviours, computer / driving postures.
- Sciatica – nerve impingement often results from muscle spasms & posture.
- Digestive problems – a gentle massage across the abdomen can help restore gut function
- Increasing joint mobility / flexibilty
- Release muscle tension / stiffness / stress – restoring muscle length & balance
- Sports injury rehabilitation – Reduces scar tissue formation
- Injury prevention / increase injury recovery process
- Event preparation and recovery – can help to enhance performance
- Aids lymphatic drainage / improves & increases circulation – particularly at injury sites
- Dynamic stretching – aids all the above
- Mostly importantly provides relaxation for the body & mind.
DO I NEED TO BE A SPORTY PERSON?
No. Despite the title sports massage, this doesn’t and shouldn’t exclude those who aren’t or don’t do exercise.
WHAT WILL HAPPEN ON MY FIRST APPOINTMENT?
You will arrive at Chesham where you will meet with me and have a 10-15minute Free consultation*. I will ask you to complete a general assessment form and take you through a range of controlled body movements pertaining to your injury or concern. We will then discuss and decide on the best way to proceed with treatment. This will then be followed by your 1 hour treatment.
HOW MANY TREATMENTS WILL I NEED?
It depends on what you are hoping to achieve.
You may only want a one off deep tissue massage at Chesham or you may want and need a series of treatments for an injury.
WHAT SHOULD I WEAR?
Wear loose and comfortable clothing. Shorts and a t-shirt are ideal.
DOES SPORTS MASSAGE HURT?
Sports & remedial massage can be uncomfortable at times, but it will never be beyond you ability to deal with any discomfort as I will ask you to tell me if it is too much.
WHEN SHOULD I NOT HAVE MASSAGE?
Please contact me if you are unsure and want to discuss.
There are times when sports massage could be detrimental rather than beneficial to you. Please see a list of contraindications:
- A body temperature over 100°F, or feeling generally unwell
- Acute Traumas – Open wounds, recent bruising, muscle tears, sprained ligaments, contusions, chilblains, burns
- Tumours – Where there is swelling, which is inconsistent with recent bruising
- Diseased blood vessels – Varicose veins, phlebitis, thrombosis
- Infectious skin disease – Bacterial infection, Lymphangitis, Fungal infection, Viral infections, Herpes
- Where you react adversely to massage treatment
- Where your symptoms appear to make advice from a doctor advisable
- Diabetes – not strictly a contraindication but massage has the same effect as exercise on your blood sugar levels so you need to have appropriate medication available
- Please make me aware of any allergies you think you may have to lotions and oils.